I love popcorn. Kettlecorn, cheddar, butter… you name it. Popcorn ceiling is another matter. I loath popcorn ceilings, especially if they need to painted or, *gasp*, repaired.
In January we decided to tackle the water stain on the downstairs bathroom ceiling. Easier said than done. After removing the damaged popcorn ceiling, and patching with spackle, we used Litex Popcorn Patch. Supposedly, you can apply to the ceilings with a putty knife and it should match existing popcorn. Eh. Not so much. It came down the next night and we were back to Lowes.
Next, we tried Homax Ceiling Texture, which is an aerosol application. This was quite an adventure. We actually had to cut up garbage bags and hang them from the ceiling to prevent the splatter from going all over the room. It reminded me a bit of Dexter. Anywho… at first it looked like this was failure as well. However, Steve patiently blotted the goo with paper towels until the popcorn was almost seamless. We have a winner!
24 hours later I put on 1 coat of white. A full month later I finally got around to putting on a 2nd and final coat of white paint. Now painting popcorn ceiling is one of my least favorite activities in the world. During our den painting excursion, we decided to paint the popcorn ceiling as well. After some research, I saw that using a slotted roller will lead to a pretty good result. Wrong! Steve actually found that the best (painstaking though it may be) is to use a sponge. So that is what we did. And here we are with the final picture:
You can barely tell where the repair is. Can you spot it? It is actually the back right of the light to the back left of the light.
I wish I had a before picture to show you, because this little popcorn ceiling project actually two-fold. We (or shall I say, Steve) repaired the ceiling fan as well. Before, a guest coming into the bathroom would be deafened by the noise that came out of that fan. After replacing the motor, it is almost silent. I came in made the light look pretty again. I am pretty sure the fixture is original to the house, so it was yellowed and needed some love. I ordered a new light cover (the little plastic piece in the middle of the light) and spray painted the surround white. Viola. Rather than removing and installing a new fan ($100+) we have a good-as-new fan for less than $50. Woot!
Here is another picture for you: